Sunday 15 April 2012

Dungeon Tile Modeling and Texturing


Believe it or not, im actually having a bunch of fun modelling stairs, room, halls and other tile pieces. Maybe I was an architect in another life... One of the pains that comes with this though is making sure that the pieces align correctly within the dungeon generator, that is why these tiles have an extra half step on each side.




I also found that rather than using a mesh collider I simply added a ramped box one, This gave the illusion of character smoothly transitioning up the stairs rather than bumping around on each step.




I have also been getting a stronger grasp of UV maps and how to smooth out the seams. You can see in the texture on this tile I have used the 3d painter in blender to smooth out the edges so the tiles dont have harsh collisions that show the tiling method.

No comments:

Post a Comment